Pages

ninth and wisdom

June 14, 2010

If you could live anywhere, where would it be, and what would you do there? -- Kelly

This question is sort of difficult to answer because my knowledge of the world, in a travel sense, outside of the United States, is rather limited, as I’ve only been to Tijuana, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and St. Thomas. I wouldn’t want to live in any of those places. I enjoyed visiting them, but they’re too detached from the rest of the world.

So, where then? It would have to be near a beach. Not necessarily on a beach, though I wouldn’t mind this, would probably prefer it, but it’s not a must that I be within a few feet of one. Still, I’d like to be able to get to one in no more than half a day. Not that I would go all that often, but it’s somehow comforting to know that it’s there. I can say this because I’ve lived a few hours from one for nearly two decades of my life. That I have the option of going, should I choose to do so, is really quite nice.

One of my favorite trilogies that I’ve read by Nora Roberts is set in Monterrey, California. I really liked what I read about that place. So, I would probably say there.

What would I do there? Write. Cruise the coast. Study literature and creative writing. Haunt bookstores and music shops and movie theatres.

If I had to pick a place outside of the United States, I’d say Ireland or Greece. I’ve always been fascinated by those places. Always longed to go there.

As for what I’d do there? Observe the culture, absorb it. Write. Cruise around to all those cities I’ve heard about but never seen. Study the country’s history, its writers and poets, its artists. Haunt pubs and bookstores and cafes.

for the eighth inquisition essay, go here.

this week's wisdom:

the young lions lack and suffer hunger;
but those who seek the lord shall not lack
any good thing (psalm 34:10).

7 comments :

  1. Living by a beach would be a dream come true for me. I live in the midwest so the nearest ocean is at least a 12 hour drive. It's not easy to get there in one weekend if you had sleep in the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would live in California because it has everything....beach mountains and cities!! Ireland is pretty cool but the weather is not so hot! Thanks for stopping by my blog on SITS Pot Luck Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound indecisive like me! haha I have no clue where I would live. I love so many places.

    Stopping by from SITS!

    www.reflectionsofasojourner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to stop by and say hi and thank you for stopping by my blog the other day. I love making new friends and seeing new blogs. Thanks again for coming over! I am your newest follower!

    I love the beach but here in WA it is too cold and windy. I would chose someplace by water too...maybe a serene lake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I get it about the beach. We lived a few hours away from Ocean City, MD growing up. And that's where we took our vacation this year. Well, and Annapolis, too. On the water. I think now I'd miss my mountains, so I vote for bringing a beach to CO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is just something so fantastic about beaches, isn't there? I love the air : ) I think you picked a great place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to wake up to the fresh smell of pine trees and the cool crisp air of being in the mountains. I have seen lots of majestic views in SD, WY, ID, MT and CO. I think I could live forever in any of those places. I lived for a few years in San Diego and one of my most cherished memories was when my husband and I went into the mountains near Julian, CA and camped out for our first anniversary in November.

    ReplyDelete